By Jeremy Hritz
What a glorious day, as Steelers training camp has begun, and while the team did not practice today, there were lots of sound bites and optimism for the 2022 season. Tomorrow, the team will take the field for their first practice at 1:55 pm, and things will finally be underway! Here is a recap of the first day of camp and some of the most notable items that came through the news wire. Enjoy!
- The Steelers signed running back, Jeremy McNichols, who played with Tennessee last season, and was drafted by the Buccaneers back in 2017 out of Boise State. The running back room just got more interesting, as now the undrafted rookies in Jaylen Warren and Mataeo Durant will have more competition, as will Anthony McFarland. The team is searching for a complimentary, versatile back, and possibly, Nichols is that guy.
- TJ Watt (pictured) is poised for another big season, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him smash the NFL sack record. Today, he sent a message to the team youngsters about the importance of perspective: “Enjoy the time together, remember we are living our dreams.” Well said, TJ.
- In an interview with Bryant McFadden, Najee Harris talked about how it was Snoop Dogg, not the Steelers who first contacted him about being drafted with their first selection. He then said that when Mike Tomlin called, his family was so excited and loud (and intoxicated) that he couldn’t hear the conversation, so Coach hung up on him. Funny story.
- Minkah Fitzpatrick has will begin the year on the non-football injury list after falling off an exercise bike, while Tyson Alualu will begin on the PUP because of knee soreness. Tomlin says both injuries are not serious.
- Diontae Johnson reported to camp, so there’s that.
- Larry Ogunjobi said his foot is fine, and that there is no bad blood between he and Mason Rudolph for the Myles Garrett incident. Ogunjobi said, “he reached out when I signed. I feel like it’s just water under the bridge. That was years ago, I don’t have any hard feelings.”
- Tomlin, no surprise, is fired up for the start of camp. You have to love Coach’s optimism. He commented, “We’re really excited to be here. It’s awesome to get started…. I just told the team I was really excited about a couple minor yet important things that I saw to this point: No. 1, everyone was on time; No. 2, everybody was appropriately conditioned.” I’m bullish on Tomlin extended his streak of no losing seasons. One of the best to ever do it.
That is all for today’s Study Notes! Enjoy the evening, and let’s get after it at the first practice tomorrow!