By Jeremy Hritz
It’s the NFL Trade Deadline, and also Tomlin Tuesday, and yes, a busy day in Steelers news. Read all about what went down today, including some other nuggets in my November 2nd Steelers Study Notes.
- Well, that was short-lived. In a move that I praised over the summer, the signing of Melvin Ingram for OLB depth, it has now been dashed, as he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for a conditional 6th round pick, one that could improve if Ingram plays well for the Chiefs. I’m all for him playing well and increasing the capital for the Steelers, as long as he plays poorly against the Steelers on the 26th of December.
- Speaking of OLB depth, Taco Charlton appears to be the man off of the bench, along with Derrek Tuszka. While these players can be serviceable, pray for the health of TJ Watt and Alex Highsmith. They are needed for this defense to play at a high-level.
- I thought the Steelers could at least get a 5th-rounder for Ingram. Guess that’s where the “conditional” element comes into play.
- Surprised Eric Ebron wasn’t moved. Possibly indicates how other teams view him. Hopefully Gentry’s increased playing time doesn’t take a hit once Ebron is healthy, as he was solid on Sunday against the Browns.
- The Steelers signed Khalil Davis to their practice squad, reuniting him with his twin brother, Carols Davis. Davis is a defensive tackle who was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2020 in the 6th round.
- With Chris Boswell in concussion protocol, the Steelers signed kicker Josh Lambo to their practice squad. Lambo kicked for the Jacksonville Jaguars this season, going 0/3 on field goals and 5/7 on extra points. Eeeeehhhhhh. Here’s hoping Boswell is healthy for Monday.
- The Steelers will wear their color rush uniforms on Monday night. Those things are sharp! Heading into the game, the Steelers are 6.5 point favorites over the Chicago Bears, a team the Steelers haven’t defeated since 2005 in the famous Jerome Bettis run-over Brian Urlacher.
- No real updated on Stephon Tuitt from Tomlin’s press conference today, other than he is progressing, but he is not close to returning. While there is still time left in this season, you have to start wondering whether or not he will make it back before the end of the season. Here’s hoping so.
- Finally, any chance the Steelers sign Desean Jackson???
That is all for today! Make it a great week!