By Jeremy Hritz
40 (est.): 4.6
– 178 total tackles, 25.5 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, 1 interception, 3 forced fumbles
– Powerful and strong, able to dispense blockers with ease
– Great pop to offset and disengage blockers
– Unyielding motor, rarely knocked off balance in pursuit of ball carriers
– Is passionate about and loves football–no question about it
|Areas for Growth|
– Not a coverage linebacker, and is, in fact, a liability in coverage
– While he loves the game, does not have natural instincts for the position
– Must grow in his lateral movement to play sideline-to-sideline
– Still raw in technique at inside backer
Chenal is physical with a capital P, and is in love with the game. What he lacks in technique, he can overcome through coaching and develop into a quality run-stuffing “Buck” linebacker, and be adequate when called upon to defend the pass. While he never will be a force in defending the pass, his never-say-die attitude and physicality will make him a feared defender on the inside of a defense.
A slightly above-average insider backer starter who can shut down the run but is a liability in pass coverage.
|Potential to Land with the Steelers |
The Steelers are in need of a “Buck”backer, and Chenal could be the man. The team doesn’t need a “move” linebacker, as the team is going to give Devin Bush every opportunity to show he still has it, while they are in need of a physical player who can make running backs think twice about pounding it inside. A selection of Chenal would make you question the worth of Buddy Johnson, but if Chenal is on the board 3rd or 4th round, the Steelers will think long and hard.